Sunday, September 8, 2024

APROPRIATENESS

My opinion of MP's and Parliament in general has deteriorated markedly over the last few decades.  I may be old and possibly a trifle old fashioned but I expect people representing our country to be appropriately dressed and to behave in a decorous manner.

I was always upset at the unkempt appearance of Boris Johnson.  He may have one of the finest minds in Government but what impression would he give to visiting dignitories - that he definitely needed a hair brush and someone to press his clothes.  He always looked scruffy and that does not impress.

But my chagrin at Boris has been greatly superceded by the impression which must be given by the Deputy Prime Minister.  She was filmed dancing in a DJ's booth in Ibiza and when challenged apparently  hit back a critics after her clubbing with 'I'm working class, I like a dance..."  She certainly is and she may do but as a very senior member of the Cabinet and representative of this country, shouldn't she confine that kind of behaviour to her home.  How can she expect to be taken seriously if she behaves like a teenager. 

And please will someone get her a clothes advisor. She may buy (or be given) relatively expensive outfits by top designers but they do nothing for her.  She is a big lady and whatever she wears off duty at home, I really believe she should be more work-woman-like in Parliament.  She has worn several outfits by Me+Em looking great on the sylphlike models but doing absolutely nothing for her.  And she really is too old to wear puff ball sleeves and white satin-like material dresses at Cabinet meetings.

It is said Clothes maketh the Man and I think that could apply equally to Women.  I'm sure Angela Rayner would look far better and appear more serious if she wore trouser suits.

No I am not a fan of hers and especially not of her close connection with the Unions - look how the Government have caved in to the Unions almost before they crossed the doorstep of No.10.  Perhaps one could call Ms. Rayner a Communist.  Although no great fan of the last Government, they too could have capitulated to the Train Drivers et al but knew it would lead to a raft of other demands - as it is doing.  As for constantly referring to the Black Hole in the finances of this country, they are MP's and supposed to have brains. Surely they must have had some idea of how tough times have been with Covid and the War in Ukraine impacting on our finances.

And what about the little slip up of not declaring her property for Capital Gains Tax.  It is not the amount she did not pay - that was trivial - but the fact that she got away with it.  I'm sure  HMRC would have chased any person other than an MP.  And why did the Police drop the case???

Although my home is not worth much, I put it into Trust for Jonathan 10 years ago so that either he might inherit something or could sell it or rent it out if, God forbid, I need to go into care - perish the thought.

I didn't know that at 10 years you are assessed by HMRC and allowing for Inheritance Tax exemption of £325,000 any gain in value is taxed.  In a way fortunately my property has hardly gained in value being assessed at £340.000.  So I have to pay around £900 to HMRC and also fees of £750 to the Trust Advisers. Do you think I could get around the tax?🤣🤣

Many years ago I had a small flat in Capetown, South Africa,  but sadly had to sell it to put money into my puny pension fund.    Although I'd paid maintenance and expenses for 7 years, I still had to pay Capital Gains Tax of £4,000 to HMRC in this country when I sold because I made a profit.  But I'm not an MP 🤣

It does seem as though the rich or influential can work the system but we, little people, get whacked at every turn. I never earned huge sums but, as a freelance,  always put away as much as possible into a Private Pension with the Equitable. That went belly up and I fought them for 5 years eventually getting an Annuity for half of what I should have received for life.  There was no Government compensation there.





No comments:

Post a Comment

SINGLE DISCOUNTS ON COUNCIL TAX

Here we go again - Labour are considering taking away the Single Discount on Council Tax.  It is only a third off where I believe it should ...