Wednesday, September 30, 2026

LABOUR CONFERENCE - Read between the lines

It sounded half good - in exchange for losing the triple lock on pensions, the elderly would receive CARE COSTS in their latter years. But that is precisely what he means and I took this from his Conference Speech

The national care service will cover personal care costs but not the residential element of staying in a care home, it is understood.

Care Costs can be heavy but so too is the Residential side of Care.  My mother was in a Care Home for 18 months before she died and 12 years ago that cost was roughly £4,000 a month.  My stepfather was in the same care home for several years dying in 2024.  His Costs were £6,000 a month - that's £72,000 a year and he did have the money to pay for it but thousands of folk do not have that kind of money.  I don't know what element was Care Costs and what Residential Costs but it is a substantial sum.

It's also been reported that this taking away from Pensioners will not cover the Promise and taxes will have to be raised.

I totally agree that something has to be done about elderly care which is badly inadequate but taking it away from pensioners will not solve the problem.  I would like to see any MP trying to live on the State Pension especially when the Personal Allowance is not rising whilst cost of living is leaping ahead.

Our country has been badly run by successive Governments who have not thought ahead - look at our lack of reservoirs, nuclear power stations and reliance on imported Energy  It's all well and good to have Green credentials - like Ed Milliband - and we must do our bit towards saving the planet - but to have to import energy when we still have plenty of our own is MADNESS IMO.




No comments:

Post a Comment

CHURCH OF ENGLAND - DEMISE

There are many reasons why I think the Church of England is in Decline Freefall.  Personally I believe it has a lot to do with trying to be ...