Monday, July 8, 2024

BATTLE OF BRITAIN MEMORIAL DAY - Capel le Ferne

I do hope you've followed me over from Twitter.


As you know I've long been a big supporter of the Battle of Britain Memorial and allied charities.  It was at Memorial Day in 2007 that I sponsored a name on the Memorial Wall and thus began a 17 year project with regard to Commandant/Squadron Leader René Mouchotte - one of only 13 Free French pilots with their names on the wall.  The Documentary is on You Tube https://youtu.be/oVNwEZ8KriM

Over the intervening years I secured a short Documentary on my Search for René Mouchotte; was instrumental in the renaming of the RAF HQ in Gibraltar - Mouchotte Buildings; was able to have René's Diaries republished in English in 2022  'Free French Spitfire Hero'; last year on the actual 80th Anniversary of René's death I secured a service at the Biggin Hill Chapel - where René was based and from where he flew on the fateful day of August 27th 1943 and met his death on the Raid at Eperlecques - the V2 manufacturing base.

I've attended all the Memorial Day services since 2007, sadly now a shadow of what they were.  When I first attended there were 25 Veterans, several of whom became my friends.  We now have no veterans and the panoply of the RAF Band, the British Legions and the public have all gone but we still mark the day and honour the Pilots and Air Crew who flew from July 10th to October 31st in the Battle of Britain.

I formed a good relationship with the now outgoing French Air Attaché and this bore fruit as he too had an interest in René Mouchotte.  Last October the 12 French Squadron Badges were presented to the RAF Club along with a beautiful painting, heavily featuring René on the historic day at Biggin Hill when they celebrated the downing of the 1000th Enemy Aircraft.  René and a Canadian pilot Squadron Leader Jack Charles shared the honour and the prize which I know René shared with his groundcrew.

Last year it was wet, windy and cold at Capel le Ferne which is very exposed on the cliffs.  I was very cold so this year, when similar weather conditions were forecast, I abandoned the summer dress and went for a Winter Velvet Suit.  Delighted to say it saw me through the afternoon and I was at least warm if somewhat wind blown.  For some reason my photos from yesterday are not loading into my Photo Library but will post when they do. 

Here's the Painting now proudly displayed in the RAF Club.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

SINGLE DISCOUNTS ON COUNCIL TAX

Here we go again - Labour are considering taking away the Single Discount on Council Tax.  It is only a third off where I believe it should ...